Features » Health and Beauty
ARE YOUR SUNGLASSES RUINING YOUR SIGHT?
Press Release / 2012-06-04 16:28:10
SPECSAVERS’ GUIDE TO PROTECTING YOUR EYES THIS SUMMER....... As spring turns to summer and more people head to the beaches to soak up the glorious Spanish sunshine, we’ll all be wearing sun screen to protect our skin from the rays, but how many people think about protecting their eyes?
Specsavers in Benidorm is urging locals to remember to take care of their eyes when they are outdoors with the most effective sunglasses.
Phil Morgan, Store Director of Specsavers Benidorm, says: ‘Providing they meet European safety standards, sports-style sunglasses not only protect your eyes but also help reduce premature ageing. Sunlight creeping in at the side of badly fitting frames can make you squint, leading to crows’ feet around the eyes.
‘Excessive exposure to UV rays causes a painful irritation to the cornea at the front of the eye. In extreme circumstances this can lead to cancer of the cornea, age related macular degeneration, cataracts and even blindness.’
Specsavers stocks a large selection of prescription sunglasses styles and will also fit tinted lenses to other frames within its range to create prescription sunglasses. Throughout the summer Specsavers are offering free reaction lenses and 2 for 1 on our sunglasses range. Visit in store for details.
Follow these top tips from Specsavers to protect your eyes when enjoying the Costa Blanca’s famous weather this summer:
1. Check sunglasses comply with UNE-EN 1836:2006 + A1:2008 or bear the CE kite mark and are marked UV 400.
2. If you already have sunglasses, take them into your local optician to be UV tested. All Specsavers stores offer this service.
3. Invest in photochromic lenses that instantly adapt to light changes, darkening in bright light. Alternatively, get prescription lenses tinted to minimize the amount of UV rays that reach your eyes.
4. By adding polarized lenses you can decrease the amount of glare, which can dazzle and strain your vision; particularly useful when you are participating in outdoor sports.
5. For driving, Specsavers UltraDrive lenses provide excellent eye protection in bright light by blocking out all UV light and up to 92% of blue light, making colours appear sharper. They also conform to European driving guidelines.
To view Specsavers’ full range of sunglasses and frames, to book an eye examination or to find your nearest Specsavers, please visit www.specsavers.es